I did some thinking in the shower this morning. That is where I sometimes do my best thinking. Here’s what I was thinking:
Reducing the deficit. That seems to be all the rage among politicians these days. I don’t really see the need to reduce the deficit right now. After all, you don’t save the beast by starving it to death. However, if you really are serious about the whole reducing the deficit thing, here is how you do it:
- Tax the churches. They are, in truth, nothing more than big businesses built upon fantasy and human insecurity. And they have a lot of money. A lot of money. So, tax the churches.
- Eliminate the tax breaks for the super rich. The millionaires and billionaires do not need the tax breaks and will, thank you very much, get along just fine without them. So tax them at the same rate at which they were taxed when conservative god Ronald Reagan occupied the White House.
- Do away with the corporate tax loopholes. It is simply ridiculous that huge corporations like General Electric and Exxon/Mobil can make record profits every year, pay their executives millions and billions of dollars and yet pay no federal taxes. If, as the Roberts Supreme Court maintains, corporations have the same rights as people, then they should be paying taxes just like the rest of us people.
- No more bailouts for the banks and huge corporations. They should have to sink or swim just like the rest of us. Besides, they just use the billions we give them in bailouts to give their executives big fat salaries and bonuses. Also, see the thing about the Roberts court above.
- And, last but not least, stop electing Republicans. Republicans do not know how to manage money. They don’t.
So that is what I was thinking about in the shower this morning. How about you?